Translate

Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Night in NoDak

As I sit here with a glass of wine in hand I realize how things have changed in the last 2 months.  We moved here on the 1st of February and the second day we were here it was 45* below and the wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour.  That week I began unpacking...I realized all of those fabulous high heeled pumps will remain in their boxes and will probably not come out unless we travel somewhere "resort" style for vacation.  I get excited when I find a great sale on Sorel waterproof boots that have all of the items on my checklist (must withstand temps of 25* below or completely waterproof or have skid proof bottoms ) Items I had no idea that I would EVER require.  There was one thing I wasn't prepared for... The MUD, we are in a housing division that we have to drive on dirt roads to get to and from both of our jobs, the kids schools and to the downtown area and any shopping.  Every car, truck, auto etc is covered in Mud.  There is nothing that can prepare you for that.  It sounds crazy but I think I would prefer the snow rather than the mud. We have had the craziest situation where the builder didn't get our driveway right (it is made out of mud) and we actually have to tear out of our driveway at max speed just to make it out!  It is like an adventure every morning... like 4x4ing and slipping and sliding...its kinda cool in a way but so NOT normal!  this city slicker has become a little bit country in a very short time!  There are things I never thought would be a daily thing.  Every day there is something else in me that becomes a little less city and a little more country!  So I guess I am embracing the life we are calling NoDak style.  So its Friday Night and I am waiting for my hubby to get off work and we will settle back on the sectional and probably watch something on Netflix or Hulu, maybe catch up on a series we missed because we didn't have internet, cable or phone for an the entire first month we lived here, Why you ask? because they didn't have Fiber Optic line to our house and "they would get to it when they could"  ...So tonight when you realize that you can jump in your car and within 5 minutes you can be at your favorite eatery, or you can put on those Manolo Blahniks and head to the club, know not everyone has a fabulous life like you do... Enjoy it... Every little nicety you enjoy!  And by the way I am Jonesing for the moment you walk in Starbucks and the annoying barista yells "Good Morning" ... I wish I didn't have to drive 160 miles to hear those 2 annoying words!!!!

4 comments:

  1. This is not I told you so because I was not smart enough to say it. When you shared your plans I thought, "They will freak out from all of the mud." I've never lived where you are, but that came to mind. But Deanna, you and your beloved are far more powerful than the mud or the wind or the snow! You all are REAL people who carry on regardless! That's why Lady Rachele and I love you SO much. Take the greatness of that place you live now and continue sharing it. Leave what is terrific abotu you guys! This is what makes the world go round. You have a ton to share and ND has a ton to teach.

    Have Ray get some freaking DG (decomposed granite) for your drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure DG is going to assist in this area. I thing we need either road base or larger gravel/pebbles! Thanks Jefe I will pass on your command and make him get to work!

      Delete
  2. Living in ND is like blazing a trail in building a larger community. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathleen! I totally feel the same way! I feel like I am channeling my Dad because of all of the trail blazing he did in Desert Hot Springs! Iloveit! Thanks for following me! I am having a ball!

    ReplyDelete